Zumba fitness is a dance based fitness program. Zumba is Spanish slang, which means “to move fast and have fun”. Zumba fitness was created by Alberto Beto Perez, who is a fitness trainer for celebrities. He has also worked as a choreographer for internationally acclaimed pop stars. Beto came up with the idea of Zumba Fitness in 1990s and now aims at spreading it throughout the world.
This fitness program is inspired by traditional music such as salsa, cumbia, samba and meringue. Beto has used this music with vivacious Latin rhythms and various hit dance moves to make Zumba a complete treat for those who love to stay in shape but hate boring workouts. Due to the fun value of Zumba fitness, people of all ages and backgrounds seem to be adopting it as an entertaining way to stay fit. It is said to suit all ages because it doesn’t only offer bubbly music to move to but also easy enough dance moves that can be performed by everyone. Not to mention that it provides a great way to keep fit while having fun.
While there seem to be a number of benefits associated with Zumba fitness program, it is not completely free of any downsides. Here we will discuss the advantages and disadvantages of a fast moving dance based fitness program like Zumba:
Advantages of Zumba
There are many advantages of Zumba fitness including physical and emotional ones.
- The first and foremost benefit is that this fitness program will not feel boring to those who avoid the gym because they find it dull. Such people can instead dance away the excess weight through Zumba
- It is usually easier and more fun to move with music. More so when it’s an exciting Latin rhythm that’s playing
- Since this program is based on aerobics, it strengthens the core of muscles while toning them at the same time
- Most people will lose weight quicker through this aerobics and dance based fitness program as compared to slower workout regimes like walking or yoga
- With the DVDs of Zumba fitness available, it will be easier for people to do it at their homes and hence they wouldn’t need to go to a gym every day.
Disadvantages of Zumba
- While an aerobic based workout program will make you lose weight quicker, you will also gain weight quicker if you stop following a fitness program like Zumba. This is usually not the case with slower workouts such as yoga
- With a faster workout program, there is a higher chance of injury by tripping, slipping or falling down or simply spraining a muscle. This will especially be a problem with those having certain bone conditions and/or for older people.
- Zumba fitness may prove to be tiresome for some people who also look for relaxation in their workout regime
- For people who do not enjoy dancing or lots of noise around them, will be more likely to not be at ease with Zumba
While like every other workout program, Zumba fitness has both some advantages and some disadvantages. What one needs to do is to assess whether it is the right choice for their circumstances and then decide whether they should take it up!